Subscribe via RSS Feed Connect on Google Plus Connect on Flickr

Mother and son at Holy Cross Abbey

Sunday, 19 January, 2014

The abbey of Holy Cross near Thurles in County Tipperary takes its name from the True Cross or Holy rood, a fragment of which was brought to Ireland by the Plantagenet Queen, Isabella of Angoulême, around 1233. She bestowed the relic on the Cistercian monastery, which was subsequently named Holy Cross Abbey. The modern Stations of the Cross that adorn the outer walls of the restored abbey were designed by the Italian sculptor Henry Manfrini and the influence of Donatello on his work is obvious.

Holy Cross


Comments are closed.